Occupy Portland has endorsed a call for decentralized-yet-coordinated nonviolent civil disobedience against big banks on Thursday Nov. 17. Let’s shut them down!
*Please send invites to everyone you know in the Portland-area for this event!*
… On Thursday November 17th the Occupy movement worldwide calls for a day of mass action to reject big banks direction of the economic system that divides us all. Let’s reclaim our democracy, stop the foreclosures, and recreate the society we want to see. Together, on Thursday November 17, let’s shut the banks down!
This is a call to form “affinity group” action teams, take on support roles, or join in a public march visiting action locations. An action “spokescouncil” for communication between and support of affinity group has been formed by the Occupy Portland Action Committee and seeks your participation.
Ways to engage:
1) Form an affinity group! A sit-in with half-a-dozen friends can shut down a corporate bank for hours, especially if utilizing u-locks or other basic “lock-down” devices. Affinity groups are coordinating through “spokescouncil” meetings to ensure actions don’t accidentally conflict, can get their action’s message out to media, have legal support, and more. Ideas for affinity groups at http://www.n17pdx.org/ag/
2) Support the direct actions! There are many ways to help support actions without risking arrest – police and media liaisons, legal observation, march planning, outreach, etc. Teams are forming for all of them, and are a great place to get trained – no experience necessary. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
3) Get trained. Workshops for anyone wanting help planning actions and organizing new affinity groups are happening! Schedule @ https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=310129472346919. http://www.n17pdx.org/training or contact email@example.com.
4) Come to the Spokescouncil meeting – To coordinate with other actions or join support teams for them, come to the action Spokescounil planning meetings. Every other day at 6pm: Thursday 11/10, Saturday 11/12, Monday 11/14, and Wednesday 11/16. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for location.
5) Join the march! The action starts @ 8am on the East Side of Steel Bridge with a labor action with We Are Oregon. Then join us for a 10am Rally at Waterfront Park @ SW Ankeny. At 11am we march to visit civil disobedience actions in progress!
6) Donate! This coordinated action – one of the largest days of action in Portland history – is running on a painful shoestring budget! Put your money where your values are now! We need your support asap, every bit helps: Funds are desperately needed for legal support, outreach material, sign making supplies, and civil disobedience blockade devices. Do you want to see the big banks shut down? Then please put your money where your visions are and visit n17pdx.org/donate today!!
7) Spread the word! RSVP on facebook and invite others, help with flyering, and check out n17pdx.org/outreach for more ideas.
This is a once in a generation opportunity to take bold action with a critical mass of activists willing and ready to confront corporate greed. Seize the moment. Plan to take the day off work (because banks are open 9-5pm). Spread the word. Gather your friends. Plan your action. Be Creative. Occupy the Banks.